Detroit Sports and stuff

My ranting of sports, life, and whatever I feel like...but mostly sports. Now in the un-daily variety.

Friday, November 02, 2007

Yay indoor soccer! and other sporty bits

So my indoor soccer league started up two weeks ago, but since I was in the middle of softball playoffs (4th place, we lost our game 23-15) I had to miss the first indoor match (we lost 5-1). So Wednesday, I finally get out onto the pitch, and I remember why it took 1/2 a year for me to get back into shape. Because nothing prepares you for soccer, except to play more soccer. I was gassed from just before halftime on, and because of this, I missed a couple of shots that I should've hit, and we ended up losing 5-2 (to the same team no less, thanks a lot soccerzone). Blah. I'm hoping next weeks game goes better, but I'm thinking it will take a couple of more weeks for me to get back into shape, and hitting the back of the net once more. Oh well...

On to the professionals!!

Last saturday, Michigan took care of Minnesota, 34-10, doing so without starters Chad Henne and Mike Hart. It was a close game until halftime, when Michigan arose from its slumber and put the beatdown on the Gophers, and took home the Little Brown Jug in the process. They play MSU this week in E.Lansing, and I'll be at the game!!!!!!!!!! Go BLUE!!!!!!!!

The Lions did something that they haven't done in quite sometime, and that is to go into Soldier Field, and come out with a victory. After a 16-7 win over the Bears, the Lions record is now 5-2, and there is a quiet confidence growing about this team. They seem to be doing the bad things (dumb penalties, giving up tons of sacks, and the secondary getting destroyed) less, and trying to improve on important areas, such as running, and blocking people. This game against Denver could tell us where this team is headed. A win here will be the longest winning streak in Matt Millen's tenure as GM. We'll see how it goes, but this is the best the L's have looked since a certain 20 lined up in our backfield.

Arsenal continue their unbeaten streak, going into Anfield, and drawing 1-1 with Liverpool. This game had disaster written all over it after Steven Gerrard put the Reds in front with a free kick in the 7th minute, but the Gunners never quit, and Cecs Fabregas leveled 12 minutes from time, and split the points. On Wednesday, the Carling Cup squad took the field against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane, and again, the Gunners were victorious. Eduardo had a pair of goals, including an absolute screamer from 20 yards out, and Denilson added the 3rd, as Arsenal move into the next round of the competition very handily 3-0. Another huge test this week for the Gunners, as they host Manchester United at the Emirates. A win sees us increase our lead in the Premiership, while a loss sees us fall into 2nd place. It should be a great match.

The Pistons opened the season with a 91-80 win over the Miami Heat, without Rip Hamliton or Rodney Stuckey (while the heat were without Dwayne Wade). They play again tonight against the Orlando Magic, who we were 8-0 against last season (including playoffs). I hope we make it 9 in a row.

The Wings cannot lose, winning their last 7 games, and completing a 3-0 streak over Western Canada (Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver). Henrik Zetterberg leads the NHL in scoring with 12 goals, and 24 points. Pretty good start, I'd say. I hope they keep it up.

And finally, The John Beilein era got under way yesterday, as U-M's basketball team knocked off division II foe Ferris State, 78-40. I know it's pre-season, and I know that Ferris is not an opponent you should base a season off of, but a 38 point win is a 38 point win. Freshman Manny Harris lead the team in scoring with 15 points, and 10 players played at least 15 minutes for the Maize and Blue. That will probably be the norm, as it seems like this team will be a track team, fast breaking and knocking down threes whenever they get the chance.

Well, that's all for now, I hope to post on Monday, but it just depends how busy I am. Will post on Thursday about my indoor soccer adventures. 1 MONTH TIL GRADUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home