Detroit Sports and stuff

My ranting of sports, life, and whatever I feel like...but mostly sports. Now in the un-daily variety.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Pistons withdrawel

So, yeah, I probably should've had a post like a week or so ago about the demise of the Pistons to the fighting LeBrons, but I really don't want to talk about how they took a 2 games to 0 lead, and then pissed it away. Instead, I'm gonna pretend that I've already written that article, and will now focus on what the Pistons need to do in the off-season.

Step 1 - Trade Rasheed Wallace

I know this step may cause a stir with some people, but he has to go, for a couple of reasons. First, his attitude has gotten us in a lot of trouble this year, taking ill-timed technicals, and more importantly, bringing a whining attitude to the team that we did not have a couple of years ago. We complain over every call, and I think that a) it's Rasheed's fault, leading by example, and b) it's bullsh*t. Refs are human, just like everyone else, they will make mistakes. That doesn't give you the right to complain about it. Shut up and play. Secondly, he's getting older, making him a step slower on defense, and he's losing some accuracy on his shot. Now, his ability to can the 3-pointer is really what makes our offense run, and the need for a 3-pt shooting big man would be a huge hole. But we need to start looking, because I think that PF is a position that we need to get younger at.

Step 2 - Kick ass on draft day

We have 3 picks coming up on draft day, 2 first rounders and a 2nd rounder. Does 'kick ass on draft day' mean to take 3 good players? Not necessarily. If we could parlay those draft picks into a great player, then that's what I expect (Pistons GM) Joe D. to do. After all, he built this team the first time, it looks like it's time to start rebuilding this team, so we can keep up with the Baby Bulls and the Fighting LeBrons for seasons to come. Those teams are not gonna get any worse, but we may if we stand pat.

Finally, Step 3 - Resign Chauncey

Although I do feel we need to get younger in some positions, PG is one that needs to stay the same. Chauncey Billups is the heart of this team, and unlike Ben Wallace of a year ago, he feels loyalty to the team. And as long as he doesn't get overwhelmed with another offer, I do not feel that we will low-ball him with a bad contract, and he will resign, and lead this team for a couple of more years. I believe we will let Lindsey Hunter go, and I think that Will Blaylock will have to step up to become a good backup PG next season, but there is no way we should let Chauncey leave. If he chooses to leave, then we'll have to take a look around, and see what we can do about the PG situation, even if it's renting a player for the year, or having 'Flip' Murray run the point, like he did in Chauncey's injury absence earlier in the year.

Anyways, those are my 3 off-season steps. But I trust Joe D. completely, and I know this off-season will be a good one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Princesa said...

You smell... I'm all the way on the 4th floor and I can smell you from here. So sad... *shakes head*

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home