Detroit Sports and stuff

My ranting of sports, life, and whatever I feel like...but mostly sports. Now in the un-daily variety.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Movie Time!!!!!

Ok, there are 6 movies that I have seen recently, and so I've decided to tell y'all what I thought of them...

1) 300 - 300 is the store of the ancient Spartans trying to prevent the Persians from taking over their country, making their women and children slaves, and killing the men (I'm sure everybody has seen at least 1 preview for this movie, since it was severly overhyped through the media). This movie was actually really good. It was an action movie that was funny at parts, and it had a pretty good story. The one bad point about this movie is the overuse of the slow motion effect. Every five seconds, it seems that some event has to occur in slow-motion, otherwise a trivial event may be overlooked. Instead, we get to see said trivial event for way longer than necessary. Thanks for that one, Zack Snyder! (director, fyi). But overall, I give it a 2 thumbs up for being a very good action movie, with a pretty decent story, good acting, and decent cinemaphotography.

2)Meet the Robinsons - This Disney story is like most Disney stories, except it's in the future. OOOOHHHHH. But it is still a very good story, albiet I don't think I'm in the target audience for this film. From IMDb (see link on left hand column), here's the synopsis (I tried to write my own without giving anything away, but I'm lazy, so :-P)

'Lewis is a brilliant inventor who meets mysterious stranger named Wilbur Robinson, whisking Lewis away in a time machine and together they team up to track down Bowler Hat Guy in a showdown that ends with an unexpected twist of fate.'

This movie was definately worth seeing, with some very good writing, and the voice actors played their parts well. It was entertaining throughout, and pretty funny, and although not the best Disney film I've seen, it's closer to the top than it is the bottom. 1 thumb up, 1 thumb neutral.

3)Grindhouse - This Tarantino/Rodriguez double feature was freakin' awesome. Not for the feint of heart, this film is very, very gory. But it also has some great humor, and Kurt Russell/Bruce Willis as the main characters was a stroke of genious. They were really good. Of course, Tarantino had to find a role for himself in his flick, but he did pretty good, too. Since these are two seperate stories, it's kind of pointless to give the synopsis for each, but what I will say is that it was fantastic all the way around, and if you get a chance to see it, and can stand a little (ok, a lot) of violence, I highly reccommend it. 2 thumbs up.

4)Hot Fuzz - Hot Fuzz is a comedy about a London police officer being transferred to a small town police station, where his collegues are convinced that no crime ever happens. This movie was slow moving at first, but once it got going, it was really funny. It's supposed to be a spoof of the action cop film genre (SWAT, Bad Boys, Die Hard, etc.) The same guys who made 'Shaun of the Dead' are responsible for this masterpiece (haven't seen Shaun of the Dead? I highly reccommend it, it's a good spoof of zombie flicks), and they are just as good in this as they were in their previous film. 2 thumbs up (I thought I had some more to say about this film, but really, you just need to see it. Really).

5)Smokin' Aces - This was a mob movie with a twist. A magician/part mob boss, Buddy 'Aces' Israel, has agreed to turn State's evidence against the mob's kingpin, Primo Sparazza. The FBI is trying to keep him alive. And everybody else is trying to kill him. This movie was really good, action-packed, and fairly unpredictable. The bad part is that it has Ben Affleck in it. But I enjoyed this movie, and if blow-em-up movies are your cup of tea, you'll like this film as well. 2 thumbs up.

And finally, 6)Spiderman 3 - The latest installment of Spiderman. I'm not gonna say much about this movie, but it's good. How good? Umm....Probably the best of the franchise. Go see it. 2 thumbs up.

Well, that's it for today...I was gonna do a 'Stones update, but ran out of time. I'm not sure when my next update will be, but when I come back I'll have probably 2 Pistons updates, and 2 Red Wings updates, and maybe a Tigers update as well (oooohhhh).... let me know what you thought of my movie review segment, maybe I'll break it out every once in a while!

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Good Job on the reviews.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

The only one I've seen of the 6 is Spidey 3 (just today) and I enjoyed it too! A lot actually. I'd like to hear some of the nay-sayers takes on why it wasn't up to par because I thought it was as good or better than the other 2.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Jackie Parker said...

Ok, as for Spidey 3, there were some REALLY cheesy moments in there. I watched a good chunk of the movie between my fingers. Especially the disco on the street. You do know what I'm talking about. And some of the effects weren't that great. Furthermore, the butler? Total device. But, even with all that, I generally quickly forgot about them as the story moved along so well. I liked it better than the 2nd. James Franco really plays with my emotions. I found him adorable, goofy, creepy and troubled and then I'd remember he was in Freaks & Geeks.

Loved Hot Fuzz. Still disagree about the slow start.

What have you got against Ben Affleck?

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home